Processing emails or attachments to folders easily with Mail Attachment Downloader PRO Client and PRO Server. In this post, we will explore tips that you’ll need to learn how to use the program effectively.
In addition to this post, you can always find help additional here:
If you still have questions or issues, see instructions here for contacting support.
Mail server connection setup tips
Links below will help guide you with mail server settings setup.
- Setup your mail server connection: Recommended settings for some popular email offerings such as Office365, Exchange or Google
- Use modern auth: Use modern authentication for Exchange, Office365 and Google
Still having connectivity or authentication problems? Here are a few tips:
- Firewall or some antivirus can often prevent the program from directly connecting or authenticating with mail servers. We do not have guidance here for every firewall or antivirus vendor, so check with their documentation and/or contact your IT support to get past this.
- Search our Knowledge Base for connectivity issues and how to solve them (eg. adding proxy settings in the program)
License activation or moving licenses
- PRO license activation problems: Search our Knowledge Base for activation tips.
- Moving license: Moving license from one system or account to another is easy. Just uninstall the program from the old system and move to the new one. You should be able to use the program on both the old and new systems for a short-period (~ a day).
Free to PRO: Learn to use global filter rules
Use the Global filters tab available in the PRO Server product — gives you access to more customizability of how to process each every email or attachment. This tab replaces most of the functionality in the folder/files, search and filters tabs.
The program runs through every rule (top down) for every email (if Save as .eml checkbox in the rule is checked) and every attachment. When a rule matches an email or an attachment, the email or attachment is saved, data is extracted using extraction rules and then actions in that rule are run.
The detailed blog post below will walk you through how to set this up.
Troubleshooting Global filters has never been easier. Use Rule Tracing like a PRO to troubleshoot why your global rule filter did not work the way you thought it would.
Running for multiple accounts
This blog post explores how you can setup the program to run for multiple accounts simultaneously. This feature is only available in the PRO editions.
PDF tips: Save emails or attachments as PDF
With the ability to convert emails to over 50+ formats, saving emails or emails with attachments in a single file or to different formats is a breeze with PRO Server. Note that PRO Client does NOT support converting to multiple formats.
Extract data like the Invoice number from an email
You can extract any data using the extraction wizard from the email or body and then use that in the saved filename format.
Save extracted data to a database
Saving extracted data or files to a database could never be easier with the PRO Server.
Nest rules and actions like a PRO
You can nest both rules and chain/nest actions so one is run after the other with the PRO Server.
- Nest actions (see below)
For example, unzip an email attachment, then run some other actions on the extracted data.
- Nest rules (see below)
Nesting rules can help with reusing rules so you don’t have to repeat the same condition across many rules.
Some interesting how-to links and posts for further exploration:
Contact us if you have any questions, suggestions about the functionality described in this article.